Thursday 8 September 2016

Inspirational tarot decks - part two

Continuing our series of posts on decks that have inspired Rex: this week, the Crowley Thoth tarot.

The Thoth tarot deck, painted by Lady Frieda Harris under the guidance of Aleister Crowley.





Rex writes: My first ever reading was from a gypsy witch in St. Ives who used the Thoth, deck. I found the witch, the cards and the reading utterly enthralling. Years later I discovered the deck was painted by Lady Frieda Harris under the guidance of Aleister Crowley, the Great Beast himself. The cards pictured here were given to me by my friend Stephanie Lightsmith along with the suggestion,”You should make your own tarot cards one day”.

Andy adds: I have used the Thoth deck for years. I discovered it after reading Robert Anton Wilson. What struck me was how three-dimensional the images are, as though you could tumble right down into them. Cards like The High Priestess and the Universe are properly psychedelic. Though it pulls no punches, the deck remains one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment